Saturday 12 January 2019

Gathering Facts

Footnotes In Gaza by Joe Sacco is about facts and gathering facts:

"The more we hear, the more we fill in our picture of that day in '56, the more critical we become of each tale we hear.
"'I think he's exaggerating.'" (p. 203)

"...I remember how often I sat with old men who tried my patience, who rambled on, who got things mixed up, who skipped ahead...how often I sighed and mentally rolled my eyes because I knew more about that day than they did." (p. 385)

Joe and his friends are referred to a man who might be able to help them but the guy talks about a different event on a different day in a different year. They do not stay to listen because that is not their story and they are pressed for time.

Stories that circulate but are never corroborated are classed as "legends."

Out of this process, the truth emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment