Tuesday 26 February 2013

After The Crisis

After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, I was a Superman titles completist for several years. Briefly, some DC and Marvel Comics were appearing on British news stands. I bought Green Lantern 200 for nostalgia value, then got hooked on Green Lantern Corps and John Byrne's The Man Of Steel.
Fortunately, there was a comics stall in Lancaster and comics shops in nearby cities.

The Man Of Steel showed how good Superman could have been with a completely changed dynamic between Clark Kent, Lois Lane and Lex Luthor. Byrne simply and rightly reversed Kent's character which should never have been changed back again. I don't know what it is in current continuity.

After a few years of collecting Superman comics, there were too many monthly titles, annuals, specials, mini-series, prestige formats, cross-overs, Elseworlds (have I missed anything?). It was quantity again quality and would have led to massive storage problems if continued. I stopped buying cross-overs as an act of civil disobedience. A more restrained approach would have kept my attention for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment